Syber's Books ABN 15 100 960 047
melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Syber's Books ABN 15 100 960 047 specializes in Australiana, Biography, Cooking, Detective Fiction, History, Literature, Miltary History, Science Fiction And Fantasy.
Search the inventory of Syber's Books ABN 15 100 960 047
About Syber's Books ABN 15 100 960 047
General secondhand dealers, with 3 cats.We have two shops, 227 Glenferrie Rd Malvern 3144, Victoria 03 9530 2222 ( open 7 days Midday 'til 5.30 PM)And the other at 666 Glen Huntly Road Caulfield South 03 9523 666 open 11:00 am - 5.00 pm-ish the other 6 days. We seem to specialize in non mainstream stuff but read and stock Science-fiction, fantasy, detective fiction, history, biography and true crime, war, natural history. cooking, children's books and try to avoid current text books.We probably have the largest collection of Science Fiction, Penguins and general crime in Victoria in an open shop ( David has 8 bookcases 900mm x 2200mm of sf and f) ( Penny has 8 bookcases 1200mm x 2400 of sf and f )On shelf each shop has 30,000 plus books and we list over 30000 books online
Syber's Books ABN 15 100 960 047
Terms of sale for Syber's Books ABN 15 100 960 047
transaction in Australian $'s for checks and money orders.If the book is not as described, return within 14 days, for a refund of the cost of the book.
We are registered for GST and goods sold to an Australian delivery address will include GST. Our ABN 15 100 960 047
Payment Methods Accepted
Rare Books from Syber's Books ABN 15 100 960 047
We also have a brick-and-mortar store! Visit us at:
666 Glen Huntly Road, Caulfield South
|Monday||12:00 PM - 5:00 PM|
|Tuesday||12:00 PM - 5:00 PM|
|Wednesday||12:00 PM - 5:00 PM|
|Thursday||12:00 PM - 5:00 PM|
|Friday||12:00 PM - 5:00 PM|
|Saturday||12:00 PM - 5:00 PM|
|Sunday||12:00 PM - 5:00 PM|
Browse Syber's Books ABN 15 100 960 047 by Category
- 16th Century
- 19th Century
- Aboriginal -- Australia
- Alternative Medicine
- Art -- Australian
- Art -- Biography
- Art -- History and Theory
- Art -- Sculpture
- Biography -- Arts
- Biography -- Literary
- Biography -- Military
- Biography -- Sports
- Books about Books
- Children' - s Books
- Company History
- Cooking -- Asian
- Cooking -- Australian
- Cooking -- Cake Decorating
- Cooking -- Chinese
- Cooking -- French
- Cooking -- Italian
- Cooking -- Vegetarian
- Family History
- Fiction -- Adolescent
- Fiction -- Adventure
- Fiction -- American West
- Fiction -- Australian
- Fiction -- Childrens
- Fiction -- Fantasy
- Fiction -- Historical
- Fiction -- Humour
- Fiction -- Military
- Fiction -- Short Stories
- Fiction -- Thriller
- Fiction -- Vintage
- Film Tie-in
- First Work
- Gender Studies
- Graphic Novel
- Herbs, Spices and Flavours
- History -- British
- History -- Egypt
- History -- France
- History -- German
- History -- Germany
- Illustrated -- Childrens Books
- Interior Design
- Life after Death
- Literary Criticism
- Local History -- Australia
- Local History -- New South Wales
- Local History -- Northern Territory
- Local History -- Pacific
- Local History -- Queensland
- Local History -- South Australia
- Local History -- Tasmania
- Martial Arts
- Military History
- Military History -- Australia
- Military History -- Aviation
- Military History -- Prisoner- of- War
- Military History -- World War I
- Military History -- World War II
- Natural History -- Australia
- Natural History -- Birds
- Natural History -- Botany
- Natural History -- Mammals
- Natural History -- Ornithology
- New Age
- New Guinea
- Performing Arts
- Politics -- Australian
- Pulp Fiction
- Religion -- Christianity
- Self Help
- Short Stories
- Social History
- Sport -- Cricket
- TV Tie-in
- True Crime
- Unions -- Australia
- history -- Poland
Interview with David Syber of Syber's Books ABN 15 100 960 047
- When did you get started in bookselling?
- back in the early 1990s, I met my wife to be and had to earn some money to keep in a style that she could appreciate. (Books are relatively inexpensive)
- What drew you to bookselling?
- It seemed a natural, I read, I handled books all the time, I knew a little bit about them, and I had too many in my own collection to start with. Plus having had a background in the public service, I wasn't really qualified for anything else. :-)
- Did you have any mentors in becoming a bookseller?
- No, I fumbled my way, and somehow managed to avoid the pitfalls, and even come up with new ways of doing things.
- What are your specialties as a dealer?
- Penny and I do not have any specialties. We have lots of science fiction and fantasy, lots of crime fiction, lots of literature, lots of history although it is mainly European centric, Penny keeps war crime and politics, we handle natural history, and I have lots of biographies and cooking, and of course we have art books and books on film architecture religion new-age, places of the world, (but not travel guides), and more or less anything else that is in good condition, and looks interesting. I literally today sold a book on "military incompetence the psychology of", and have sold local histories and business histories, and other weird stuff that is essentially not categorisable. If someone has a word for that weird stuff…
- What's the most amazing book you've ever sold?
- I wish I could say that I've sold amazing books, but every time I get something that is particularly special, I have my partner my wife, "acquire it". I remember once I acquired the library of a forensic dentist, and not 1 of them managed to hit the shelves.
- What is your favorite part of being a bookseller?
- The hunt. Going to a person's house, or to a deceased estate, and not having any idea of what I will find.
- Do you have an open storefront or have you in the past?
- We have 2 open storefronts, Penny has hers in the southern end of Chapel Street, Windsor, where she has been for 23 years, and I have a warehouse with shop frontage (and boxes piled against the front window because I'm running out of room) on Glenhuntly Road in Caulfield South.
- If so, do/did you have any bookstore pets?
- Penny has 3 cats in the shop, since 1992, we have had 7 cats, 3 have gone to the great feline restingplace, a book shop window in full sun, with cool tiles inside the shop to lie on when lying in the sun becomes too hard. Our current crop of cats are a Kaos, large ginger boy, Killishandra, a red and white girl who resembles a concrete block in size, and Leeloo multipass, a svelte grey and orange girl.
- What is the funniest / strangest / scariest thing that ever happened in your store?
- There are too many things that have happened, where the public have been inane, or incredibly naïve, or simply unknowing. We did have one woman who threatened to report us to the RSPCA, because we were forcing 1 of our cats to lie in a shelf of a bookcase in the window, in direct sunlight. She also accused us of drugging the cat. While she was haranguing Penny, Pixel obviously decided it was time for lunch, stretched, came out from the shelf, rubbed himself against the back of the lady's legs, and when she looked down, she turned bright red, pivoted on her left leg, and walked out of the shop not saying a word.
- What is your favorite bookshop (other than your own)?
- My favourite bookshops are ones that I'm able to find books that interest me, so that is Adelaide Booksellers, Kay Craddock Booksellers, in Melbourne, and Mr Pickwick's books, in Katoomba New South Wales.
- What do you personally like to read? Collect?
- Myself, science-fiction, history, crime fiction. Penny, fantasy, true crime, biography. Although Penny has put me onto some of her urban fantasy writers.
- What's your favorite book you personally own? Would you sell it, if the price were right?
- My favourite book, is a leather bound Pilgrim's progress, from the 19th century, which I purchased at auction when I was 11 years old along with an Oxford concise dictionary for the sum of $0.20 (that was back in 1966). It's not replaceable as far as I'm concerned having memories associated with it, so it's not for sale, regardless of the price.
- What one book would you buy if price were no object?
- Roger Zelazny's 9 Princes in Amber, hardcover with dust wrapper, 1st edition, not ex-library.