York, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Lucius Books specializes in Counter Culture, Detective Fiction, First Editions, Literature, Manuscripts, Original Artwork, Pop Culture, Signed Books.
Search the inventory of Lucius Books
About Lucius Books
Our shop is located in central York within a stones throw of the historic Micklegate Bar and walls. We are open seven days a week and carry a high quality stock specialising in but not limited to first editions, signed copies, bound sets and childrens / illustrated books and original art. Our opening times are 10am to 6pm Monday to Saturday and 11am to 4pm on Sundays.Lucius Books is proud to be a full member of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association (ABA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) trade associations. If you are unable to make it to the shop then our stock is available to view on our website at www.luciusbooks.com
Featured Books from Lucius Books
Terms of sale for Lucius Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
Payment Methods Accepted
Rare Books from Lucius Books
Interview with James Hallgate of Lucius Books
- When did you get started in bookselling?
- We started selling books in 1992.
- What drew you to bookselling?
- My father was a collector of first editions and as kids on weekends and holidays we were dragged into bookshops and to book sales. I started to read book collecting magazines and the listings in them that told you what people were looking to buy, so I started looking out for them. The thrill of the chase has never left me.
- Did you have any mentors in becoming a bookseller?
- I don't know about mentors but I used to visit antiquarian bookfairs and bookshops up and down the country. I always gravitated towards the high end modern first edition booksellers to admire their stock and descriptions. Nigel Williams in Cecil Court always had nice books, and was a lovely man to boot, closer to home Peter Miller at Ken Spelman Booksellers in York is an outstanding bookseller with a vast knowledge and a great eye.
- What are your specialties as a dealer?
- Modern first editions, signed and inscribed copies, manuscripts, original artwork, counter culture, literary objects.
- What's the most amazing book you've ever sold?
- They are all amazing, that's why we bought them!
- What is your favorite part of being a bookseller?
- The thrill of the chase and then placing that book or object with a happy customer.
- Do you have an open storefront or have you in the past?
- Yes, we've had a city centre shop in York for over 10 years now and have just moved to new larger premises on Micklegate in central York.
- If so, do/did you have any bookstore pets?
- What is the funniest / strangest / scariest thing that ever happened in your store?
- We've had more than one person start a conversation with themselves whilst stood looking into our full length mirror.
- What is your favorite bookshop (other than your own)?
- Tindley and Everett in Cecil Court, Peter Stern in Boston, Cornstalk Bookshop in Sydney to name a few.
- What do you personally like to read? Collect?
- Biographies, economics, crime fiction.
- What's your favorite book you personally own? Would you sell it, if the price were right?
- I have a small collection of books inscribed to me by authors or publishers where we have been able to contribute material or images used in the book. Always very pleasing to see the finished product and know you have had a little part in it. - I wouldn't sell them.
- What one book would you buy if price were no object?
- I haven't found it yet.
- If you were stranded on a desert island and could bring three books, what would they be?
- Raft building for beginners, The Oxford English Dictionary and My Family and Other Animals.