GEROICHESKAIA EPOPEIA (HEROIC EPIC)
by MEKLIS, LEV ZAKHAROVICH, EDITOR
- See description
New York, New York
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
An account of the rescue operation by Soviet aviators of the ship Cheliuskin which had become trapped in the ice and sank in the Arctic Ocean off Eastern Siberia. Design by Paula Freiberg, Nikolai Sedel'nikov, and Solomon Telingater. Profusely illustrated with monochrome and color photographs, montages, and illustrations, some folded, many mounted; one plate with clear acetate overlay; two small pennants attached; folding color lithograph map.
Parr and Badger, The Photobook, A History, Volume 1, page 164: "Amongst the grandest Soviet photobooks, the monumental Heroic Epic celebrates one of the most glorified events in 1930s Stalinist Russia- the epic Arctic voyage of the icebreaking ship Chelyuskin. This tale of exploration was mythologized as much as the British expeditions of Shackleton and Scott...The photographs are for the most part splendid...thick, luxuriously produced volume...The overall effect is that of an enormous album: photographs and paintings are mixed together with memorabilia from the journey".Karasik, Great Stalinist Photographic Books (title translated from the Russian). Moscow 2007, pages 107-111. Getty, Modernism 120. WorldCat lists only the copy at the University of Toronto, but there is another at the Getty.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- book dealer
- Marilyn Braiterman Rare Books (US)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- GEROICHESKAIA EPOPEIA (HEROIC EPIC)
- MEKLIS, LEV ZAKHAROVICH, EDITOR
- Book condition
- second hand
- Quantity available
- Izd redaktsii “Pravdy”
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- travel, voyages, illustrated books, geography and world history, photography, Russian Avant-garde, Russian photo book, Arctic (nICOLE - THIS IS THE ONE THAT GETS "BOOSTED"
- Bookseller catalogs
- Photography; Travel & Exploration; Illustrated;
- Large Heavy 4to
Terms of Sale
Marilyn Braiterman Rare Books
All books are returnable for any reason within seven days of receipt if carefully packed and fully insured; advance notice requested. Libraries billed according to their requirements. New York customers must add sales tax. Postage is additional.
About the Seller
About Marilyn Braiterman Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Worldcat is a collaborative effort produced by OCLC (Online Computer Library Center) and supported and used by 72,000 libraries... [more]
- text block
- Most simply the inside pages of a book. More precisely, the block of paper formed by the cut and stacked pages of a... [more]
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,... [more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [more]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched... [more]