The First Deadly Sin
by Sanders, Lawrence
- very good
- Very Good/VG-
SANTA BARBARA, California
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
The First Deadly Sin was Sanders’ second novel and the first of his Edward X. Delaney ‘Deadly Sins’ series. When a councilman is found dead, killed with a blunt object, leaving no clues or motive behind, Delaney returns to work from a leave of absence caring for his sick wife. But before Delaney can track down the killer another man is murdered in the same way. As the investigation moves forward Delaney realizes the killer just may be untouchable. The novel was the basis of the 1980 film starring Frank Sinatra as Delaney and Faye Dunaway as his wife. It was originally slated to be produced by Roman Polanski, just before he fled the country, and the production was taken over by Brian G. Hutton. Bruce Willis also makes his acting debut in this film, as an extra. Lawrence Sanders, one of America's most popular novelists, began his publishing career at the age of 50, and went on to author more than twenty-two bestsellers before his death in 1988. The First Deadly Sin was published by G.P. Putnam’s Sons in 1973. The original dust jacket has a $8.95 price on the front flap.
This is a wonderful book, which I have read so often I broke the spine of my first copy! It wasn't the first Lawrence Sanders book I read, that was the Tommorrow File, again a fabulous book to read.
The story of the stolid, dour but upright and fiercely honest and moral New York Detective seeking a terrible killer, counterpointed by his distress at his wife's dying and death, and the motley collection of people who assist him through his wife's death and to catch the killer is beautifully drawn. The necessary procedural elements of the the book seem to be pulled right from the experience of a cop, and once I had read this book I thirsted for more of Sanders writing.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log In or create an account first!)
- book dealer
- Timothy Norlen Bookseller (US)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- The First Deadly Sin
- Sanders, Lawrence
- Book condition
- second hand - Very Good
- Jacket condition
- First American Edition
- G. P. PUTNAMS SONS
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date Published
- Bookseller catalogs
- Modern First Editions;
- 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall
Terms of Sale
Timothy Norlen Bookseller
About the Seller
About Timothy Norlen Bookseller
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [more]
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps... [more]
- A defect in which small pieces are missing from the edges; fraying or small pieces of paper missing the edge of a paperback, or... [more]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched... [more]
- Abrasion or wear to the surface. Usually used in reference to a book's boards or dust-jacket.
- Good describes the average used and worn book that has all pages or leaves present. Any defects must be noted. (as defined by AB... [more]