Farewell, My Lovely
by CHANDLER, RAYMOND
- First Edition; advance reading copy in wrappers. Haycraft-Queen cornerstone, and, in the opinion of many, his best book. Only mi
Standard Delivery: 5 to 10 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Farewell, My Lovely is a 1940 novel by Raymond Chandler, the second novel he wrote featuring Los Angeles private eye Philip Marlowe. It was adapted for the screen three times.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
Brilliant. About half way through the book I thought 'After this book was written why did anyone bother to write any more crime books at all?'. It's got plot and clues and characters and places. It's got sight, smell, sound and touch, even some change of pace. And most of all it has the most brilliant stream of consciousness. It is written in the first person and in the past tense, but not as if telling what happened from the future - more as a running commentary - the still, small voice in the head slightly detached and describing or explaining the action to himself as it plays out. Terrific. Now got to find a whiskey sour and decide which film of the book to watch while it is fresh in my mind.
- Peter L. Stern & Company, Inc. (US)
- Seller Inventory #
- Farewell, My Lovely
- CHANDLER, RAYMOND
- Book condition
- Used - First Edition; advance reading copy in wrappers. Haycraft-Queen cornerstone, and, in the opinion of many, his best book. Only mi
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date published
Terms of Sale
Peter L. Stern & Company, Inc.
About the Seller
About Peter L. Stern & Company, Inc.
Specializing in 19th and 20th century literature, signed and inscribed books, and manuscripts we maintain a high quality inventory. Our shop is located in the heart of Newton Centre where we are open by chance or appointment
In the long-standing tradition of the rare book trade we continue to mail regular catalogues to our customers. We are easily accessible via the MBTA Green Line's D Branch. We travel widely and attend both international and local book fairs.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...[more]
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...[more]
- The paper covering on the outside of a paperback. Also see the entry for pictorial wraps, color illustrated coverings for...[more]
- reading copy
- Indicates a book that is perfectly serviceable for reading. It may have a defect or damage. As such, reading copy is not...[more]