Anne of Green Gables
by L.M. Montgomery
Hudson, New Hampshire
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Light soiling to the covers and spine; there are some tiny foxing spots along the edges of the boards, and at the top half of the spine; sharp corners. There is a crack at the front hinge between the half title page and frontispiece resulting in the front cover being a bit shaky. Nice pages - clean with the exception of foxing to the illustrated pages, and to a few pages before and after them. Also, a slip of paper was left between pages 266 & 267 leaving a tanned outline at the upper-inner corner. A small piece at the lower-outer corner tip of page 267 is missing. One of the advertisement pages has a tiny tear at the outer edge. No writing found.
Anne of Green Gables is the first novel by Canadian author Lucy Maud Montgomery. The story tells of the adventures of Anne Shirley, an 11-year-old orphan girl who is mistakenly sent to Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert, a middle-aged brother and sister who had intended to adopt a boy to help them on their farm in Prince Edward Island. Like many of her contemporaries, Montgomery did not consider submitting her first novel to a Canadian publisher, convinced that a more lucrative deal could be made with an American firm. The novel was completed in 1905, but was rejected by four major American publishing houses, and it was not until 1907 that Montgomery found a publisher. L.C. Page & Co. finally published Anne of Green Gables in 1908. Anne of Green Gables has sold more than 50 million copies and has been translated into more than 30 languages. Following the success of her first novel, Montgomery went on to write seven more books about Anne, following the beloved protagonist through adulthood and motherhood. Several novels in the series have been adapted and made into a successful television miniseries. Montgomery museums, plays, and houses on Prince Edward Island draw international visitors.
For juveniles? Realy? I am 58 and always liked it. And tears drop on my cheeks every time.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- book dealer
- CraigsClassics (US)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- Anne of Green Gables
- L.M. Montgomery
- M.A. and W.A.J. Claus
- Book condition
- second hand - Good
- Quantity available
- 39th Impression
- Grosset & Dunlap
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date Published
- lm montgomery, anne green gables, further chronicles avonlea, blue castle, emily new moon climbs, rainbow valley, ingleside, story girl, emly's quest, rilla, golden road
- Bookseller catalogs
- Children's Classics; Literature / Fiction;
Terms of Sale
About the Seller
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a... [more]
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the... [more]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,... [more]
- half title
- The blank front page which appears just prior to the title page, and typically contains only the title of the book, although, at... [more]
- The portion of the book closest to the spine that allows the book to be opened and closed.