The Book Store
APPLETON, Wisconsin, USA
The Book Store specializes in Christian Fiction, Classics, Espionage, Mystery, Non-Fiction, Romance, Scifi/Fantasy, We Have All Sorts Of Stuff!, Western.
Search the inventory of The Book Store
About The Book Store
We are a small, brick and mortar, independent, new and used book store in Appleton, WI. Independently owned and operated since 1977.
Biblio Member Since2018
The Book Store
293 W. NORTHLAND AVEAPPLETON, WI 54911 USA
Phone: (920) 734-8908
Terms of sale for The Book Store30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
Payment Methods Accepted
Browse The Book Store by Category
- Best Sellers
- New Children
- New Classic
- New LOCAL AUTHOR
- New Mystery
- New Non Fiction
- New Non-Fiction
- New Novels
- New Novels Trade Size
- New Paranormal
- New Plays
- New Poetry
- New Romance
- New Science Fiction
- New Trade Size
- New Western-Historical
- New Young Adult
- Used Animals & Nature
- Used Animals - Nature
- Used Art
- Used Best Sellers
- Used Biographies
- Used Chicken Soup
- Used Child- Parenting
- Used Christian Anthologies
- Used Christian Fiction
- Used Classic
- Used Cookbooks
- Used Crafts
- Used Death
- Used DIY
- Used Espionage
- Used Gardening
- Used Graphic Novels
- Used Health - Diet
- Used Holocaust
- Used Humor
- Used Large Print
- Used Miscellanous
- Used Music
- Used Mystery
- Used New Age
- Used Non-Fiction
- Used Novels
- Used Novels Trade Size
- Used Paranormal
- Used Philosophy
- Used Plays
- Used Poetry
- Used Politics - History - Sociology - Current Events
- Used Reference
- Used Religion - Inspirational
- Used Romance - Spicy
- Used Romance Anthology
- Used Romance Novels
- Used Romance Popular
- Used Romance Series
- Used Science
- Used Science & Math
- Used Science Fiction
- Used Self-Help
- Used Short Stories & Lit. Crit
- Used Sports
- Used Trade Size
- Used Travel
- Used True Crime
- Used War
- Used Western-Historical
- Used YA Classics
- Used Young Adult
Interview with KALAN BAVINCK of The Book Store
- When did you get started in bookselling?
- My very first job in 1996 was a used bookstore. I was not a reader when I started there, but quickly became an avid one. I loved the hunt, loved the organization, loved the sweet little old ladies that needed me to pick out books for them. Ever since, I have almost always worked at a used book on the side. When it was time for a career change, going to what I already knew seemed like a good idea. The Book Store has been independently owned and operated since 1977. I purchased it in 2017 and am carrying on that tradition.
- What drew you to bookselling?
- The hunt, the organization, the smell, the sweet little old ladies that needed me to pick out books for them, the lower stress level (in comparison to previous career in the veterinary field), helping others geek out.
- Did you have any mentors in becoming a bookseller?
- Roma (Roma's PreRead Books in Rockwall, Texas), Rachel (Book Stop in Green Bay, WI) and Laura (previous owner and now employee of The Book Store in Appleton, WI)
- What are your specialties as a dealer?
- Laughs and wise cracks with our fun customers in the store. Hunting down books for our great customers. We have a EXTRA LARGE selection on Used Romance Novels, does that count as a specialty?
- What's the most amazing book you've ever sold?
- Amazing is in the eye of the beholder, but I do love when I can get someone to give Octavia Butler's Kindred a try.
- What is your favorite part of being a bookseller?
- Helping people find there missing book in a series or their new favorite author. I kinda geek out over it.
- Do you have an open storefront or have you in the past?
- If so, do/did you have any bookstore pets?
- We do not due to rental restrictions, but if y'all could convince my landlord, my dog Hank would LOVE to join our staff. We joke with one of our regulars that she is our store mascot, she greets people and she fetches us for them if we are further back in the store. Dogs are welcome to visit and get a cookie, we don't want them waiting in the car, and we all enjoy a good snuggle.
- What is the funniest / strangest / scariest thing that ever happened in your store?
- Every day is a funny day - we laugh a lot here. Scariest thing... when a customer became a stalker... not fun going to court to get a restraining order... not fun at all.
- What is your favorite bookshop (other than your own)?
- #1 in my heart will forever be Roma's Preread books in Rockwall, Texas. I LOVE The Last Book Store in Los Angeles. If you ever go to the LA area it is so worth the trip to swing by.
- What do you personally like to read? Collect?
- I am an ADD reader. I am all over the place and generally read 3 at a time. Non fiction, mystery, historical, women's studies, sci fi/fantasy, humor, art...
- What's your favorite book you personally own? Would you sell it, if the price were right?
- I Am Monster. It is a Sesame Street book from my childhood that me and my brother loved. There may be a fight over it when my parents pass away, custody arrangements may have to be made. "Monster meals are really great. We eat the food and then the plate!"
- What one book would you buy if price were no object?
- One book? I don't think I could limit myself that way. I would buy a BUNCH of used books instead.
- If you were stranded on a desert island and could bring three books, what would they be?
- I am generally not a re-reader. If stranded, I would want something funny, something thought provoking and something suspenseful on hand to pass the time. Something new by David Sedaris, Roxanne Gay and William Kent Krueger would all be a good fit.