Where the Wild Things Are
by Maurice Sendak
- See description
New York, New York
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
SENDAK, Maurice. Where the Wild Things Are. [NY]: Harper & Row, Publishers, 1963. Oblong 8vo, 48pp. Gray quarter-cloth with full-color pictorial boards. Full-color pictorial endpapers; full-color illustrations throughout. Slight rubbing to board edges, minute sunning to boards, else a remarkably bright, clean copy, in publisher's original, first state full-color pictorial d.w. (price-clipped, sunning and light spotting across front and rear panels).Inscribed by the author,Maurice Sendak, to his friend and former lover, Leroy Richmond, with a remarkably detailed drawing of a wild thing.
First Edition. 1964 Caldecott Medal Winner.When Max is sent to bed without supper, he leaves home and journeys to where the Wild Things are. There, he tames the Wild Things and becomes their king, declaring, "Let the Wild Rumpus start!" But finally, Max chooses to go home where someone loves him "best of all." This masterpiece earned Sendak the 1964 Caldecott Medal and is as fresh and exciting today as when it was first published nearly 40 years ago! A book no child should grow up without. A beautiful association copy of this title that was inscribed by Maurice Sendak to his friend and former lover Leroy "Eero" Richmond with a surprisingly detailed drawing of a wild thing.
Where the Wild Things Are is a 1963 children's picture book by American writer and illustrator Maurice Sendak, originally published by Harper & Row. The book has been adapted into other media several times, including an animated short, a 1980 opera, and, in 2009, a live-action feature film adaptation. According to HarperCollins, the book has sold over 19 million copies worldwide as of 2008.
BEST. BOOK. EVER. I have given a copy to every child in my life (family & friends). The imagination given wings and the safety net of a parent's love. Beautifully naughty, captures the joy of childhood and possibilities.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log In or create an account first!)
- book dealer
- Books of Wonder (US)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- Where the Wild Things Are
- Maurice Sendak
- Maurice Sendak
- Book condition
- second hand
- Quantity available
- First edition, ASSOCIATION COPY
- Harper & Row
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- Oblong 8vo
- Caldecott Medal
- Oblong 8vo
Terms of Sale
Books of Wonder
About the Seller
About Books of Wonder
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Very generally, "leaves" refers to the pages of a book, as in the common phrase, "loose-leaf pages." A leaf is a single sheet... [more]
- first state
- used in book collecting to refer to a book from the earliest run of a first edition, generally distinguished by a change in some... [more]
- Association copy
- An association copy is a copy of a book which has been signed and inscribed by the author for a personal friend, colleague, or... [more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a... [more]
- Abrasion or wear to the surface. Usually used in reference to a book's boards or dust-jacket.
- When a book is described as being inscribed, it indicates that a short note written by the author or a previous owner has been... [more]