VINETUM BRITANNICUM, or a TREATISE OF CIDER and other wines and drinks extracted from fruits growing in this Kingdom. With the method of propagating all sorts of vinous fruit-trees.To which is added, APIARIUM or a Discourse of BEES.
by WORLIDGE, John. ISABEL SOMERSET'S COPY.:
- See description
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
For the most expeditious making of CIDER. And also the right way of making METHEGLIN and BIRCH-WINE. The APIARIUM was not included in the FIRST EDITION. SECOND EDITION MUCH ENLARGED 1678. 8vo, approximately 175 x 115 mm, 7 x 4½ inches, engraved frontispiece to Vinetum, (misbound after title page), plus three engraved plates, headpiece and decorated initial to first page, engraved frontispiece and title page to Apiarium, pages: , 1-240; , 1-42, , the last page is the Errata with a catchword (TO) which is a printer's error, this copy collates the same as ESTC R34758. Bound in full modern calf, gilt lettered label to spine, blind rules to covers, endpapers replaced at time of binding, ISABEL SOMERSET'S bookplate on first pastedown. Spine slightly rubbed and darkened, fore-edge on 3 pages of preface have pale browning, nowhere near text, ink library stamp of the Rothamsted Experimental Station, Herts, on blank first free endpaper, tip of 1 lower corner neatly repaired, 3 tiny old ink letters to title page, not affecting text, first inner paper hinge cracked, binding tight and firm, occasional spot, otherwise a very good copy. Lady Isabella married Lord Henry Somerset and became known as Lady Henry Somerset, known as Lady Isabel Somerset after the breakup of her marriage. She was a British philanthropist, temperance leader and campaigner for women's rights (Wikipedia). See: James Gabler, Wine into Words, page 315; H. Frederic Janson, Pomona's Harvest, page 137; Sandra Raphael, An Oak Spring Pomona, pages 210-211; Andre L. Simon, Bibliotheca Gastronomica, page 153, and Bibliotheca Vinaria by Simon, page 86; William R. Cagle, A Matter of Taste, page 771, No. 1070; Katherine Bitting, Gastronomic Bibliography, page 504; British Bee Books a Bibliography 1500-1976, page 61, No. 54; H.J.O.Walker Descriptive Catalogue of A Library OF BEE-BOOKS, page 80. John Evelyn had a copy of this title in his library, See Geoffrey Keynes, John Evelyn, A Study in Bibliophily, page 298, No 39. MORE IMAGES ATTACHED TO THIS LISTING, ALL ZOOMABLE, FURTHER IMAGES ON REQUEST. POSTAGE AT COST.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log In or create an account first!)
- book dealer
- Roger Middleton (GB)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- VINETUM BRITANNICUM, or a TREATISE OF CIDER and other wines and drinks extracted from fruits growing in this Kingdom. With the method of propagating all sorts of vinous fruit-trees.To which is added, APIARIUM or a Discourse of BEES.
- WORLIDGE, John. ISABEL SOMERSET'S COPY.:
- Full modern calf,
- Book condition
- second hand
- Quantity available
- second edition
- Place of Publication
- London, printed for Thomas Dring, 1678.
- Date Published
- cyder cider beveridges drink fruit drinks wines bees isabel somerset Eastnor Castle temperance movement hives honey
Terms of Sale
We have been established booksellers for 42 years. We are a postal business only (strictly no callers). We are long-standing members of the P.B.F.A. the largest trade association for antiquarian booksellers in the UK. We wrap all our parcels in new materials and all our books are insured at our expense. Books may be returned if wrongly described, all costs will be met by us. ****PLEASE NOTE: POSTAGE WILL BE CHARGED AT COST, MEANING THAT POSTAGE WILL BE REDUCED ON PARCELS WEIGHING UNDER 1 KILO, AND IT WILL BE INCREASED ON MOST PARCELS WEIGHING MORE THAN 1 KILO****
About the Seller
Biblio.co.uk member since 2010
Ask Seller a Question
About Roger Middleton
We are a postal business only, selling rare and antiquarian books on interesting subjects.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The portion of the book closest to the spine that allows the book to be opened and closed.
- Errata: aka Errata Slip A piece of paper either laid in to the book correcting errors found in the printed text after being... [more]
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat the... [more]
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- In reference to a hinge or a book's binding, means that the glue which holds the opposing leaves has allowed them to separate,... [more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in... [more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in... [more]
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the... [more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [more]
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former... [more]