Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Axel Heyst, a dreamer and a restless drifter, believes he can avoid suffering by cutting himself off from others. Then he becomes involved in the operation of a coal company on a remote island in the Malay Archipelago, and when it fails he turns his back on humanity once more. But his life alters when he rescues a young English girl, Lena, from Zangiacomo's Ladies' Orchestra and the evil innkeeper Schomberg, taking her to his island retreat. The affair between Heyst and Lena begins with her release, but the relationship shifts as Lena struggles to save Heyst from detachment and isolation. Featuring arguably the most interesting hero created by Conrad, "Victory" is both a compelling tale of adventure and a perceptive study of the power of love.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Main Street Fine Books & Manuscripts, ABAA (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- CONRAD, Joseph
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- The Modern Library
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date published
- Bookseller catalogs
- Books; British Literature; World Literature;
Terms of Sale
Main Street Fine Books & Manuscripts, ABAA
Main Street Fine Books & Manuscripts accepts VISA, MasterCard, Discover and PayPal. Checks are welcome. Institutions will be accommodated as their procedures require. Illinois residents will be charged 8.25% sales tax. Every effort has been made to describe each book and any defects accurately. If an item proves unsatisfactory for any reason, it may be returned within seven days. We would appreciate a courtesy call if an item is being returned. Member ABAA, ILAB.
About the Seller
About Main Street Fine Books & Manuscripts, ABAA
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
- A duodecimo is a book approximately 7 by 4.5 inches in size, or similar in size to a contemporary mass market paperback....[more]