Uncle Tom's Cabin; or, Negro Life in The Slave States Of America
by Stowe, Harriet Beecher
- Very Good +
Perrineville, New Jersey
Standard Delivery: 14 to 14 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
In Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriett Beecher Stowe, the title character Uncle Tom is a long-suffering slave, loyal to both his faith and his master. Presented with an opportunity to escape, he instead chooses to remain in slavery to avoid embarrassing his master. After being sold to a slave trader, Tom suffers brutal treatment and is eventually beaten to death for his refusal to betray his friends — made to represent an ideal of true Christianity. Enormously popular (it was the best-selling novel of the 19th century) and influential, it’s publication in 1852 was instrumental in bringing visibility to the cruel reality of slavery. In more recent years, it has come under considerable criticism for its portrayal of meekness and subservience and the phrase “Uncle Tom” is sometimes used as an epithet for someone seen as overly subservient.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
Excellent book to gain empathy and insight into the enslaved pathos, struggle and plight! This book presents well designed ideas to ennoble and elivate the human race as brothers, and sisters of a common God, and Father of us all.
- Vera Enterprises LLC (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Uncle Tom's Cabin; or, Negro Life in The Slave States Of America
- Stowe, Harriet Beecher
- Book condition
- Used - Very Good +
- First British Edition
- C.H. Clarke And Co.
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Fiction, Slavery
- Bookseller catalogs
- 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall
Terms of Sale
Vera Enterprises LLC
We are still open for business, with a very reduced staff and only one person works at a time in the office and/or shipping. We ship world wide and quote additional shipping for all oversized books and/or over 2 lbs. An N95 Mask is worn and gloves changed with each book as it is processed. We transport packed books to a post office and Current events have also limited our accessibility.
Requests for photos are accepted however they are not answered until staff is available, both to photograph and later answer.
Books are subject to prior sale. Please call or e-mail to hold book(s).
If shipping preference is not indicated, we will send the books: Media rate with signature confirmation for all USA delivery; priority for international orders. All international orders require a destination phone number; please provide.
**Customer assumes risk of loss or damage if registered or insured option is not requested.
About the Seller
About Vera Enterprises LLC
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Good describes the average used and worn book that has all pages or leaves present. Any defects must be noted. (as defined...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]