Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
In Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriett Beecher Stowe, the title character Uncle Tom is a long-suffering slave, loyal to both his faith and his master. Presented with an opportunity to escape, he instead chooses to remain in slavery to avoid embarrassing his master. After being sold to a slave trader, Tom suffers brutal treatment and is eventually beaten to death for his refusal to betray his friends — made to represent an ideal of true Christianity. Enormously popular (it was the best-selling novel of the 19th century) and influential, it’s publication in 1852 was instrumental in bringing visibility to the cruel reality of slavery. In more recent years, it has come under considerable criticism for its portrayal of meekness and subservience and the phrase “Uncle Tom” is sometimes used as an epithet for someone seen as overly subservient.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
Excellent book to gain empathy and insight into the enslaved pathos, struggle and plight! This book presents well designed ideas to ennoble and elivate the human race as brothers, and sisters of a common God, and Father of us all.
- Argonaut Book Shop (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Uncle Tom's Cabin; or, Life Among the Lowly. (2 volumes)
- Stowe, Harriet Beecher
- Book condition
- John P. Jewett & Company
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Heritage Press Book Club Literature Fiction Literature, Novel, Anti Slavery, Civil War, Abolitionism
Terms of Sale
Argonaut Book Shop
Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover Card, Diner\'s Club, PayPal, personal checks (drawn on U.S. funds) and International money orders accepted. Institutional purchase orders accepted. Postage & handling additional. We ship UPS within the United States unless another service is requested. International orders are shipped Airmail. California residents will be charged sales tax at the prevailing rate.
All items are guaranteed as described. Any item may be returned within seven days of receipt for a full refund of the purchase price provided the item is returned in the same condition as received. We will also refund shipping costs if the return was a result of our error.
About the Seller
About Argonaut Book Shop
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- raised band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...[more]
- A book in which the pages have been bound into a covering replacing the original covering issued by the publisher.