Traité des Parafoudres et des Paragrêles en Cordes de Paille, précédé d'une Météorologie électrique, présentée sous un nouveau Jour, et terminé par l'Analyse de la Bouteille de Leyde
by LAPOSTOLLE, Alexandre Ferdinand Léonce
- See description
New York, New York
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
One long folding lithographed plate & one folding printed table. 2 p.l., v,  (including the leaf of "explication de la planche"), 320 pp., one leaf of errata. 8vo, cont. red morocco, sides gilt, with arms in gilt of Francis I, the first Emperor of Austria, on each cover, flat spine gilt, a.e.g. Amiens: Caron-Vitet, 1820. First edition and a lovely copy from the library of Francis I (1768-1835), the final Holy Roman Emperor and the first Emperor of Austria, with his arms in gilt on the covers. Lapostolle was an apothecary at Amiens and studied under Cadet de Vaux. Taking Franklin's researches as his starting point, he gives first a general survey of the current state of electrical science, and then a description of his straw-rope lightning rods, which could be used both on buildings and adapted for use in fields to prevent the destruction of crops by hailstorms. This fascinating work contains one of the stranger illustrations in the history of early electrical books: it is a long lithographed plate depicting the construction of the rods and a view of a village and surrounding fields equipped with them. It very much resembles a modern wind farm. A very fine and handsome copy with half-title. With the copyright notice on verso of title signed by the author. Bookplates of Fernand J. Heitz and Jean-Claude de Rocha Carneiro. ❧ Wheeler Gift Cat. 771.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- book dealer
- Jonathan A. Hill, Bookseller, Inc. (US)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- Traité des Parafoudres et des Paragrêles en Cordes de Paille, précédé d'une Météorologie électrique, présentée sous un nouveau Jour, et terminé par l'Analyse de la Bouteille de Leyde
- LAPOSTOLLE, Alexandre Ferdinand Léonce
- Book condition
- second hand
- Quantity available
- electricity, lithography, meteorology, science
Terms of Sale
Jonathan A. Hill, Bookseller, Inc.
5 day return guarantee, with full refund including shipping costs for up to 5 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio.co.uk member since 2009
New York, New York
Ask Seller a Question
About Jonathan A. Hill, Bookseller, Inc.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in... [more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in... [more]
- Errata: aka Errata Slip A piece of paper either laid in to the book correcting errors found in the printed text after being... [more]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the... [more]
- The page bound on the left side of a book, opposite to the recto page.
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,... [more]
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also... [more]