La tete contre les Murs. (Signed, 6-color inlaid leather, Robert Fonta, Jacques Blanchet)
by Bazin, Herve; Jacques Blanchet (binder)
Granville, New York
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Paris: Aux Editions Eliane Norberg, 1951. First edition thus. Signed, De Luxe limited edition. Sumptuous, full leather Artesian binding by Jacques Blanchet. From an edition of 202, number 72 of 180 printed on Velin d' Arches. Published Paris: Editions Eliane Norberg, 1951. Folio, 10 1/2" x 13 1/4" x 2 7/8" thick, 302pp., illustrated with full page engraved plates and fine textual engravings from copper - all with tissue guards, and two leather engravings (cover and verso) in 6 colors by Robert Fonta. Full dark blue satin morocco over 1/4" thick boards with chamfered corners and leather inner hinges attached to thick, duplex flyleaves and gray leather pastedowns. Gilt block paneled titles on spine, top edges tinted blue with gilt embossed edge design stamped into the page block, front cover and verso decorated with unique, six-color leather inset engravings by Fonta, Signed on the half title by the Bazin: "Hommage amical / de l'auteur / Herve Bazin." Presentation copy to his publisher, with a four paragraph, typewritten A.L.S. by his wife Jacqueline, mounted on free endpaper, in which she writes about the color leather engravings and their signification to the situation of Arthur, the unstable protagonist of the novel..."Cuir chagrin noir, dont la couleur evoque le triste bilan d'une vie de desequilibre." A novel of youth rebellion and a man's fractured life caught up in the penal system. The novel is semi-autobiographical, based on the author's own experience in mental hospitals from 1937-1940, and was made into the film "Head Against the Wall" in 1959. Binding signed in the leather in gilt by Jacques Blanchet. Encased in a custom, matching leather and felted slipcase that echoes the curve of the book. A beautiful, exquisite production. Minor rub to a few areas of the spine, else fine - binding tight, text and plates clean and bright, in a very good slipcase with some wear at the corners and edges. . Signed by Author. 1st. Full-Leather. Fine. Illus. by Robert Fonta. Folio. Numbered, Limited Edition.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log In or create an account first!)
- book dealer
- The Wild Muse (US)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- La tete contre les Murs. (Signed, 6-color inlaid leather, Robert Fonta, Jacques Blanchet)
- Bazin, Herve; Jacques Blanchet (binder)
- Robert Fonta
- Book condition
- second hand - Fine
- Aux Editions Eliane Norberg
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- INLAID_LEATHER JUVENILE DELINQUENCY BLANCHET JACQUES
- Bookseller catalogs
- Literary & Modern First Editions; Signed;
Terms of Sale
The Wild Muse
Returnable within 10 days.
About the Seller
Biblio.co.uk member since 2005
Granville, New York
Ask Seller a Question
About The Wild Muse
Literary and modern first editions. Established 1985. Mail order only.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in... [more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in... [more]
- half title
- The blank front page which appears just prior to the title page, and typically contains only the title of the book, although, at... [more]
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also... [more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [more]
- A folio usually indicates a large book size of 15" in height or larger when used in the context of a book description. Further,... [more]
- The page bound on the left side of a book, opposite to the recto page.
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the... [more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a... [more]