The Reliques of Father Prout, P.P. of Watercrasshill, in the County of Cork, Ireland, the Copyright Edition
by Yorke, Oliver and Francis Mahony
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
York Street, Covent Garden, London: George Bell and Sons, 1886. Copyright Edition. Hardcover. Fine. Alfred Croquis and Daniel Maclise. Simple printed bookplate by D. Rothwell Quirk inside front flap, else a remarkably handsome little rebound tome of Father Prout's antiquaries and reliquaries, bound in blue linen cloth over boards, fine brown leather over tips and spine, five raised bands, and gilt lettering and fleurs-de-lis in six compartments. Top edgegilt. Edition is not noted exceptt to say Copyright Edition, and Frank Mahony's due homage paid to the author is dated 1859. Preface to the First Edition is also included here. The engravings of Daniel Maclise include a particularly fine rendition of the planting of the first potato in Ireland at the included facsimile title page of the first edition, and, opposite, a tri-panel Supper Table rendering of the names of notable Irishmen, including: Ainsworth, Macnish, Serge Murphy, Churchill, Thackeray, Percival Banks, Southey, Barry Cornwell, Maginn, Irving, Mahoney, Gleig, Sir E. Brydges, Carlyle, A. Cunningham, D'Orssy, Moir, Brewster, Theo. Hook, Lockhart, Crofton Groker, Fraser, Jerdan, Dunlop, Galt, Hogg, Coleridge, verily, a Who's Who of literature and politics, science and industry. xiv , 2-580 pp. Member, I.O.B.A., C.B.A., and adherent to the highest ethical standards. Additional postage may be required for oversize or especially heavy volumes, and for sets.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log In or create an account first!)
- book dealer
- Structure, Verses, Agency Books - Member, I.O.B.A. (US)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- The Reliques of Father Prout, P.P. of Watercrasshill, in the County of Cork, Ireland, the Copyright Edition
- Yorke, Oliver and Francis Mahony
- Alfred Croquis and Daniel Maclise
- Book condition
- second hand - Fine
- Quantity available
- Copyright Edition
- George Bell and Sons
- Place of Publication
- York Street, Covent Garden, London
- Date Published
- Father Prout|Francis Mahony|Oliver Yorke|Alfred Croquis|Daniel Maclise
Terms of Sale
Structure, Verses, Agency Books - Member, I.O.B.A.
Thank you for your purchase. In addition to the fact that you can make purchases through biblio.com by the usual means of credit cards (e.g., Visa, Mastercard, and American Express), we are more than happy to arrange payment by means of check, bank draft, and PayPal. Dealers may ask for terms, absolutely.
About the Seller
Biblio.co.uk member since 2005
Ask Seller a Question
About Structure, Verses, Agency Books - Member, I.O.B.A.
Occasionally rare, frequently scarce, always fine, or is that Fine? Structure, Verses, Agency Books, located now in Spray, Oregon, has currently about 2,000 works and will have ultimately about 4,500 items available for purchase on-line. We specialize in the fine arts (painting, the decorative arts, photography, sculpture, Jewish art and artists, art history, art movements), but also carry fine antiquarian tomes, works in the French language, Western Americana, poetry, the social sciences, and some modern first editions. We also selectively purchase books and collections thereof if we can drive to them. We also offer appraisals and advice about library-building.We also offer a book-of-the-month club, called Once Upon a Tome. Ask about a subscription thereto. Thanks!
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- raised band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created in the... [more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in... [more]
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former... [more]
- A book in which the pages have been bound into a covering replacing the original covering issued by the publisher.
- An exact copy of an original work. In books, it refers to a copy or reproduction, as accurate as possible, of an original... [more]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the... [more]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched... [more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [more]
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the... [more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in... [more]