Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
New York: Architectural Book Publishing, Co, 1915. First edition. Period half brown buckram over tan cloth boards.. Folio, 51 x 36 cm, more than 400 full-page plates (photographs, plans and elevations to scale) present a retrospective of one of the most respected and influential architectural organizations of its day with more than 785 commissions, about 350 of them major. Their buildings were instrumental in restoring classicism as the national American style from 1880-1940 and also exerted influence in Europe. Leland M. Roth noted, "Within the context of nineteenth century idealized formalism and its associational references to the past, the work of McKim, Mead and White represented the most generous realization of commodious planning, sound construction and visual delight." No other firm of such prominence and stature has contributed to the architectural landscape as McKim, Mead and White did in just the span of 36 years. KARPEL B1189. "The standard work on this great firm. The photographs are of the highest quality." (Lacks plate 20 in Vol. I). Chipping to black morocco spine labels, mild finger smudging to covers, binding very firm and tight, interior contents clean, dampstain free front endpapers at head Vols. 1 and 3, bookseller tickets upper corner of front pastedown of J.C. Jansen, Cleveland.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Royoung bookseller, Inc. (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- A Monograph of the Work of McKim, Mead and White. 1879 - 1915
- McKim, Mead and White
- Book condition
- Used - Period half brown buckram over tan cloth boards.
- Quantity available
- First edition
- Architectural Book Publishing, Co
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date published
- Art Reference
- Bookseller catalogs
- Architecture; American Art; Art Reference; Americana; Sets;
Terms of Sale
Royoung bookseller, Inc.
All books returnable 10 days of invoice date with prior notification
About the Seller
Biblio.co.uk member since: 2008
ardsley, New York
Ask Seller a Question
About Royoung bookseller, Inc.
Member: Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America & International League of Antiquarian Booksellers
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...[more]
- A defect in which small pieces are missing from the edges; fraying or small pieces of paper missing the edge of a paperback, or...[more]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
- A plain weave fabric normally made from cotton or linen which is stiffened with starch or other chemicals to cover the book...[more]
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- A folio usually indicates a large book size of 15" in height or larger when used in the context of a book description....[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]