MEMOIRS OF THE LIFE OF THE LATE JOHN MYTTON, ESQ. OF HALSTON, SHROPSHIRE. WITH NOTICES OF HIS HUNTING, SHOOTING, DRIVING, RACING, ECCENTRIC, AND EXRAVAGANT EXPLOITS.
by APPERLEY, CHARLES JAMES
- See description
Prairie Village, Kansas
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
London: Rudolph Ackermann, 1837. The author was "Nimrod" the pseudonym for Mr. Apperley. Green ribbed cloth. Panelled spine with gilt designs and lettering. The spine has toned to a chocolate brown as is usual. Marbled endpapers. Engraved title-page with aquatint vignette, eighteen hand-colored plates drawn and etched by Henry Alken and T.J. Rawlins, aquatinted by E. Duncan. This second enlarged edition omitted three of the plates from the original 1835 edition and added nine new ones. Top border of the frontispiece has an old paper repair, a signature was cut out apparently. Seven of the color plates have tissue-guards, others do not. A few plates show some browning and toning of the paper along periphery, not affecting the color print. Fore-edge pp.127-130 browned. Text generally quite fresh and clean throughout. John Mytton (1796-1834) was a British eccentric and Regency rake. Many anecdotes and stories have recounted the unusual life of "Mad Jack". According to his biographer Nimrod, he once rode his pet bear "Nell" into his drawing-room in full hunt costume. He drank eight bottles of port wine a day, washing it down with brandy. He supposedly hunted ducks, late at night in winter, in the nude. He once set his nightshirt on fire while wearing it in an attempt to cure a case of hiccoughs! (See plate at p. 127). 206pp.. Second Edition. 1/2 Forest Green Morocco. Octavo.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- book dealer
- Glenn Books (US)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- MEMOIRS OF THE LIFE OF THE LATE JOHN MYTTON, ESQ. OF HALSTON, SHROPSHIRE. WITH NOTICES OF HIS HUNTING, SHOOTING, DRIVING, RACING, ECCENTRIC, AND EXRAVAGANT EXPLOITS.
- APPERLEY, CHARLES JAMES
- Book condition
- second hand
- Jacket condition
- No Jacket
- Second Edition
- Rudolph Ackermann
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- Ackermann, Color Prints, Hand-Colored Plates, Hunting, Shooting, English Sporting
- Bookseller catalogs
Terms of Sale
All books are subject to prior sale. Books are guaranteed as described and may be returned to us within 10 days with immediate notice of intent to return the item.
About the Seller
Biblio.co.uk member since 2005
Prairie Village, Kansas
Ask Seller a Question
About Glenn Books
We are an antiquarian bookshop established in 1933. We are members of ABAA and ILAB.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [more]
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,... [more]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched... [more]
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also... [more]
- A decorative design or illustration placed at the beginning or end of a ... [more]
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing... [more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in... [more]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,... [more]