Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Lolita is widely regarded as one of the greatest books of the 20th Century. The cultural influence of Lolita cannot be understated, and numerous editions have been printed since 1955. The book has been made into movies, plays, and has sparked countless conversations about relationships and the nature of obsession. Even the covers of the later editions have sparked controversy, as they feature potentially suggestive depictions of the famous "nymphet". Unsurprisingly, Lolita is often at the top of banned books lists in high schools.
Read more: Identifying first editions of Lolita
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
Vladimir Nabokov's postmodern masterpiece about a man's obsession with a young girl is nothing short of remarkable. Not only does Nabokov situate the story within the context of Cold War America, but he has the ability to make the reader sympathise with an otherwise immoral character. Through Nabokov's lyrical, poetic and deceptive writing, the story becomes at once comical and poignant. Underneath all the amusing and colourful metaphors and allusions to American popular culture is a deeply affecting story about obsession, innocence and unrequited love. As with Jack Kerouac's On The Road, the theme of 'the journey' is strongly emphasised throughout, as the lead character descends deeper into madness as he and his step-daughter travel around America. A cult classic and must-read, Lolita is the work of genius.
Terms of Sale
Bookbid Rare Books
About the Seller
About Bookbid Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...[more]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...[more]
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...[more]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- The portion of the book closest to the spine that allows the book to be opened and closed.
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]