Lady Chatterley's Lover
by Lawrence, D. H
- near fine
- Near Fine
London, Greater London, United Kingdom
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
D.H. Lawrence's 1928 novel Lady Chatterley's Lover holds the distinguished title of being one the most banned books in history. Infamous for its explicit descriptions of sex and other vulgarities, it was only published openly in the United Kingdom in 1960. The book focused on the illicit affair between an upper-class woman and her lower-class gamekeeper, and it was received with outrage and intrigue, resulting in numerous abridged versions being published throughout the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s. Because the first edition was so quickly banned from public consumption, there are many abridged and censored versions available, though few are as valuable as the original. The first printings were bound with brown boards with an insignia of a phoenix gracing its front cover. The phoenix has remained a potent symbol for the book, in large part because of the book's victory in the infamous British Obscenity Trial in 1960. D.H. Lawrence was a well-known English author who wrote many novels, short stories, and books of poetry. Not just an author, Lawrence was also a well-respected literary critic who wrote several essays regarding other famous writers, including Edgar Allen Poe, Herman Melville, and Walt Whitman.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Foster Books - Stephen Foster, ABA, ILAB, PBFA (GB)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Lady Chatterley's Lover
- Lawrence, D. H
- Half Morocco
- Book Condition
- Used - Near Fine
- Quantity Available
- Limited Numbered Edition
- Privately printed 1928
- Place of Publication
- N.p. [Florence]
- Date Published
- Large 8vo.
- Lady Chatterley,D.H. Lawrence
- Bookseller catalogs
- Literature; Fine Bindings;
Terms of Sale
Foster Books - Stephen Foster, ABA, ILAB, PBFA
In an effort to provide you with some certainty about receiving your books quickly, we are subsidising UPS deliveries for Domestic mainland sales at the moment. Please select our Priority service if you'd like UPS express servies, but even our Standard option is with UPS until Royal Mail sort themselves out.
Prices are in sterling, and are subject to availability. We can accept bank transfers in Sterling, Euros, US and AUS dollars. We ship priority shipping as standard, and pack our books well. Courier services available. We are also able to offer same day delivery within London postcodes for some orders - ask for a quote. Valuable items will be sent via registered airmail or one of the courier services. Large orders can be sent via consolidation, which reduces the cost per book. In the unlikely event of an incorrect description, a full refund will be provided, but please e-mail/telephone first, and within seven days of receipt of the book. We are happy to comply to the EU's rules on distance selling. All books are published in London and 8vo unless stated, and remain my property until paid for in full. The shop is open Monday to Saturday 10.30am to 5.30pm and Sunday 11am to 5pm. If you find yourself in West London, do come along and browse.
About the Seller
About Foster Books - Stephen Foster, ABA, ILAB, PBFA
We have an open bookshop in London which is open Monday to Saturday 10.30 to 17.30, and Sunday from 11.00 to 17.00, except Easter and Christmas.We are members of the ABA, ILAB, PBFA and ibooknet
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Raised Band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created in the...
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects, "new"...
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...
- Top Edge Gilt
- Top edge gilt refers to the practice of applying gold or a gold-like finish to the top of the text block (the edges the pages...
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...