I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
by Angelou, Maya
- very good
- Very good/very good
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Titled after a stanza from Paul Laurence Dunbar’s poem “Sympathy,” I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is the first of a series of seven autobiographical novels by African-American poet and writer Maya Angelou. Personally deeply involved and affected by the civil rights movement, the volume explores racism and identity in her early life. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings was nominated for the National Book Award in 1970. However, due to its depiction of controversial subjects such as sexuality, lesbianism and rape, the use of the novel in classrooms has been frequently challenged.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- The First Edition Rare Books, LLC (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
- Angelou, Maya
- The first edition, third printing of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, signed by Maya Angelou.
- Book Condition
- Used - Very good
- Jacket Condition
- very good
- Quantity Available
- First Edition, Third Printing
- Random House
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date Published
- signed book Maya Angelou, our grandmothers Angelou, first edition Why The Caged Bird Sings, Poems Maya Angelou, signed Maya Angelou, Gather Together in My Name
Terms of Sale
The First Edition Rare Books, LLC
- Items lost or damaged during shipping will be refunded by the shipper.
- Please notify us before returning merchandise by email or phone.
- Sales tax will be added to purchase price where applicable and noted on your invoice.
- Deferred billing available upon request.
About the Seller
About The First Edition Rare Books, LLC
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- Text Block
- Most simply the inside pages of a book. More precisely, the block of paper formed by the cut and stacked pages of a book....
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...
- Number Line
- A series of numbers appearing on the copyright page of a book, where the lowest number generally indicates the printing of that...
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...
- Copyright page
- The page in a book that describes the lineage of that book, typically including the book's author, publisher, date of...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....