HORAE, use of Rome, in Latin. Horae in laudem beatissime virginis Marie: secundum consuetudinem ecclesie parisiensis
- See description
Ardsley, New York
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
"Every page is enclosed in a charming border composed, after the manner of illuminated manuscripts, of detached flowers, fruit, foliage, birds, beasts, insects, &c., all in outline, the various portions of the blocks being combined in endless variety throughout. At the foot of each page is seen either a coat-of-arms or a device, personal or otherwise" (Fairfax Murray). Mortimer considered them somewhat less effective in their uncolored state than Tory's earlier "antique" set, and Pollard suggests that both borders and illustrations were intended to be filled in by an illuminator, as the designs are reminiscent of manuscript Hours. Striking among the illustrations is the dramatic use of black for Death's horse (and black crow flying overhead) in the Triumph of Death illustration, as well as the black figure for one of the Kings in the Adoration of the Magi. Each of the first three Tory Horae contain different cuts and borders, the second with colophon dated 21 October 1527 is printed in octavo format in roman type. Brun, p.232; Bohatta 330; Fairfax-Murray French 279; Harvard/Mortimer French 304; Lacombe 364-371. Fact and Fantasy 21.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log In or create an account first!)
- book dealer
- Riverrun Books & Manuscripts (US)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- HORAE, use of Rome, in Latin. Horae in laudem beatissime virginis Marie: secundum consuetudinem ecclesie parisiensis
- Book condition
- second hand
- Quantity available
- Simon Du Bois for Geoffroy Tory
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- Bookseller catalogs
- early printed books; Illustrated Books;
Terms of Sale
Riverrun Books & Manuscripts
All items are guaranteed as described and are returnable within 30 days. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (914) 478-1339 to initiate your return. In your e-mail, please include your name, item(s), and reason for return.
Overseas orders should specify shipping preference.
All postage is extra.
New clients are requested to send remittance with your orders. Libraries may apply for deferred billing.
All New York residents must add appropriate sales tax.
We accept PayPal, American Express, Master Card and Visa.
All items are subject to prior sale; prices are subject to change.
About the Seller
About Riverrun Books & Manuscripts
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Very generally, "leaves" refers to the pages of a book, as in the common phrase, "loose-leaf pages." A leaf is a single sheet... [more]
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing... [more]
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat the... [more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in... [more]
- The page bound on the left side of a book, opposite to the recto page.
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a... [more]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the... [more]
- The colophon contains information about a book's publisher, the typesetting, printer, and possibly even includes a printer's... [more]
- Especially for older books, a printer's device refers to an identifying mark, also sometimes called a printer's mark, on the... [more]