Frankenstein; Or, The Modern Prometheus.
by Shelley, Mary Wollstonecraft
- very good
- Very Good
New York, New York
Standard Delivery: 7 to 14 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
This 19th Century piece of classic science fiction literature has a fascinating history. Authored by Mary Shelley when she was just 19 years old, Frankenstein: or, The Modern Prometheus was first published anonymously in London in 1818 to mixed reception. Standard for British literature at the time, it was published in the traditional "three-volume" or "triple-decker" format. Mary Shelley is not credited as the author in the first edition, but there is a preface written by her husband, Percy Shelley, as well as a dedication to Mary's father, William Godwin. It was not until the second edition was published in 1822 that Mary Shelley was listed as the author. Rather unfortunately, later editions drop the subtitle "or, the Modern Prometheus". Shelley included the subtitle to illustrate the similarities between Dr. Frankenstein and the Greek god Prometheus, as Prometheus suffers great torment after creating man and deceiving Zeus by giving fire to humanity. Since only 500 first edition copies were printed, they are quite rare and very valuable. As with most classic first editions, Frankenstein: or, The Modern Prometheus only increases in value over time. In 2012, a one-of-a-kind first edition was found that was inscribed by Mary Shelley to Lord Byron, saying on the front flyleaf, "To Lord Byron from the Author". -
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- B & B Rare Books, Ltd., ABAA (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Frankenstein; Or, The Modern Prometheus.
- Shelley, Mary Wollstonecraft
- Book condition
- Used - Very Good
- Boston and Cambridge: Sever, Francis and Co.
- Date published
- Bookseller catalogs
- Fiction; British Literature; Women's Literature; 19th Century Literature;
Terms of Sale
B & B Rare Books, Ltd., ABAA
~ All items are guaranteed as described. We recommend requesting pictures prior to purchasing. ~ Any items may be returned within seven days of receipt and in the same condition as originally sent. ~ We ship with FedEx, UPS and USPS. Please let us know if you prefer another shipping. ~ New York State are required to add 8.875% sales tax.
About the Seller
About B & B Rare Books, Ltd., ABAA
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- In reference to a hinge or a book's binding, means that the glue which holds the opposing leaves has allowed them to separate,...[more]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- Abrasion or wear to the surface. Usually used in reference to a book's boards or dust-jacket.
This Book’s Categories
- Fiction & Literature Fiction by Region British Fiction
- Fiction & Literature Classic Literature
- Fiction & Literature Science Fiction & Fantasy Science Fiction
- Fiction & Literature Women's Fiction
- Children & Juvenile Juvenile & Young Adult Juvenile Fiction & Literature
- Fiction & Literature Fiction by Period 19th Century Literature
- Fiction & Literature Horror & Supernatural Fiction