Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
The MacMillan Company of Canada, 1915. 509 pp (6 unpaginated book ads) . Frontispiece and seven full page b/w illustrations on heavy glossy paper in excellent condition, all present. Normal edgewear. Owner's name to ffep. Book tight and bright. Gilt to front board and spine not faded.. First Edition. Hard Cover. Very Good. Illus. by Herman Pfeiffer.
This is a story of the career of Hugh Paret from youth to manhood. The phrase "a far country" is from the Biblical parable of the prodigal son who takes everything he is given and runs off to fulfill his own desires. Paret leaves Great Britain where he grew up and travels to America with his worldly goods while gathering up and refining other more useful talents which provide him the greater wealth of honor and a standard of excellence. Once in the New World he attends Harvard, graduates, is admitted to the bar and joins a firm of corporate lawyers, the first of their kind. He is introduced to new people, different customs, and various adventures when he enters the world of big business as it announces the awakening of social ethics. In his travels to this dangerous excitement of situation, he uses his business flair tumultuously as he gains strength and knowledge in its execution. But far from being a pariah, he is recognized as one of the world's prosperous men in this fascinatingly detailed journey. The intrigue of this strange powerful world is something he has the experience and ability to manipulate to his own ends.Please Note: This book is easy to read in true text, not scanned images that can sometimes be difficult to decipher. The Microsoft eBook has a contents page linked to the chapter headings for easy navigation. The Adobe eBook has bookmarks at chapter headings and is printable up to two full copies per year. Both versions are text searchable.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Gilt Edge Books (CA)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- A Far Country
- Churchill, Winston (American Novelist)
- Herman Pfeiffer
- Book condition
- Used - Very Good
- Quantity available
- First Edition
- The MacMillan Company of Canada
- Date published
- Fiction Herman Pfeiffer Modern First Edition Novel Illustrated
- Bookseller catalogs
Terms of Sale
Gilt Edge Books
Prices are in US dollars. Postage extra. Prepayment required.� Credit card purchases must be made through Biblio.com We do not charge GST. Book orders will be held 10 business maxium awaiting payment. We do not provide 'Drop-Ship'service. Books can be returned within seven days of receipt if not as described. Prior notice is required. Returns must be received in the same condition and method of shipment as originally shipped
About the Seller
About Gilt Edge Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- A common abbreviation for Front Free EndPaper. Generally, it is the first page of a book and is part of a single sheet that...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]