Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
London, Printed for B. Tooke at the Middle-Temple gate in Fleetstreet, 1699.. FIRST EDITION 1699, A SPECIAL RUBRICATED EDITION ON BETTER PAPER FOR PRESENTATION. 4 small corrections to text in old ink (possibly in Evelyn's hand - see: Geoffrey Keynes, John Evelyn A Study in Bibliophily, illustration on page 127 showing a correction). Small 8vo, approximately 160 x 90 mm, 6¼ x 3½ inches, 1 folding leaf of vegetables by months, pages: , 1-192,  - appendix, index and errata leaf, first blank present, contemporary speckled calf (probably by Evelyn's binder, see: Christies Evelyn sale catalogue, plate 27 for similar binding), gilt lettered label and gilt decoration to spine, gilt panel to covers with floral ornament at corners, all edges gilt, marbled endpapers. Binding rubbed, wear with slight loss to head and foot of spine, 1" crack to top of upper hinge (20cm), lower hinge has ½" (10cm) crack to top of hinge and 1" crack at foot, covers still firmly attached, pale age-browning to title page and prelims, 3 leaves in dedication have a small hole from old ink, just touching odd letters, all still legible, a further 8 leaves have ink spots just touching the odd letter, all still legible, occasional pale age-browning and spotting, otherwise a very good copy of the rubricated edition. See: Christie's, The Evelyn Library, Part 4, page 86, No. 1680; Geoffrey Keynes, John Evelyn, pages, 236-241, No. 105; Rachel Hunt, Catalogue of Botanical Books, 1477-1700, page 421-422, No. 401; Blanche Henrey, British Botanical and Horticultural Literature before 1800, Volume 1, page 243, No.117; ESTC R8610; Printed Books in the Wellcome Medical Library, Volume 2, page 537. MORE IMAGES ATTACHED TO THIS LISTING, ALL ZOOMABLE, FURTHER IMAGES ON REQUEST. POSTAGE AT COST.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Roger Middleton (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- ACETARIA. A DISCOURSE OF SALLETS.
- EVELYN, John.:
- Contemporary speckled calf
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- Place of Publication
- London, Printed for B. Tooke at the Middle-Temple gate in Fleetstreet, 1699.
- Date published
- herbs salads vegetarian health foods gardening recipes cooking cookery menus
Terms of Sale
We have been established booksellers for 42 years. We are a postal business only (strictly no callers). We are long-standing members of the P.B.F.A. the largest trade association for antiquarian booksellers in the UK. We wrap all our parcels in new materials and all our books are insured at our expense. Books may be returned if wrongly described, all costs will be met by us. ****PLEASE NOTE: POSTAGE WILL BE CHARGED AT COST, MEANING THAT POSTAGE WILL BE REDUCED ON PARCELS WEIGHING UNDER 1 KILO, AND IT WILL BE INCREASED ON MOST PARCELS WEIGHING MORE THAN 1 KILO****
About the Seller
Biblio.co.uk member since: 2010
Ask Seller a Question
About Roger Middleton
We are a postal business only, selling rare and antiquarian books on interesting subjects.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...[more]
- The portion of the book closest to the spine that allows the book to be opened and closed.
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat...[more]
- Errata: aka Errata Slip A piece of paper either laid in to the book correcting errors found in the printed text after being...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- Very generally, "leaves" refers to the pages of a book, as in the common phrase, "loose-leaf pages." A leaf is a single sheet...[more]